Certified Active Status
As IFCI expands and develops relationships with outside organizations for client referrals, we must maintain industry standards and best practices. One of these is the understanding that medical information and knowledge changes rapidly and that in order for us retain our knowledge and skills, we must “use it or lose it.”
This has led to the development of Active Status requirements (listed below) and the IFCI Alumni Association Membership, as tools to help you keep your skills and knowledge current.
How To Achieve Certified Active Status
Active Status Requirements
(Effective January 2020)
To be considered an Active Certified Fibromyalgia Coach or Advisor with IFCI, you will need to meet some annual requirements.
To qualify for Certified Active Status, you must accomplish the following in the 12 months prior to your application for Active Status:
- To be an Active Fibromyalgia Coach, complete at least 100 fibromyalgia coaching hours and/or make at least $5,000 working as a Coach or Advisor. (Up to 25 hours may be spent coaching fellow coaches. Up to 50 hours may be pro bono. This Coaching Log may be used to help you track your hours. Not required to maintain Active Status for Fibromyalgia Advisors.)
- Complete six IFCI Continuing Education Classes for credit. Note: a maximum of 1 CE credit may be earned per month. CE credits are earned through the IFCI Alumni Association Membership.
- Complete IFCI Annual Competency Exam with a passing grade. (Waived if less than 1 year since completion of any IFCI training course and/or consistent maintenance of Active Status.)
Active Status Qualification Periods
Graduates from all IFCI training programs are automatically considered Active for one year following the completion of their final certification interview.
There are two times each year when you may apply for Certified Active Status with IFCI, through this online Alumni Portal:
- January 15-31
- July 15-31
During these two windows, the Annual Competency Exam and Active Status Application links will be posted here in the Alumni Portal.
To apply for Active Status:
- If you are applying for Active Status as a Fibromyalgia Coach, complete at least 100 fibromyalgia coaching hours and/or make at least $5,000 working as a Coach. At this time, we are using an honor system, without requiring proof or a coaching log. However, IFCI reserves the right to audit applications, and may ask for a coaching log and/or proof of sales on a case-by-case basis. We suggest using this coaching log for tracking. (Not required for Advisors.)
- Earn at least six (6) CE credits in the 12 months prior to your application for Certified Active Status. CE credits are earned by completing six IFCI Continuing Education Classes for credit. Note: a maximum of 1 CE credit may be earned per month. CE credits are earned through the IFCI Alumni Association Membership.
- Take the Annual Competency Exam (if required) and submit your information via the online form during the application windows listed above.
Is there a cost to be considered a Certified Active Coach or Advisor?
No. Active Status is based solely on the work you do as a Coach or Advisor. However, you must earn at least six CE credits in the 12 months prior to your application for Certified Active Status. CE credits may only be earned through the IFCI Alumni Association Membership.
Do I have to be a member of the IFCI Alumni Association to take advantage of the Continuing Education classes?
No. Our monthly Continuing Education classes are open to all IFCI graduates to attend at no charge. However, CE credits are only available through the IFCI Alumni Association Membership. In addition, Alumni Association members have early access to CE class recordings.
Why is there a fee to access the CE quizzes and Competency Exam?
It is standard practice for there to be a fee for CE credits. The fee pays for our time in creating the classes, reviewing feedback forms, tracking credits, and so on. We do this as part of our Alumni Association membership so that you can receive additional perks, such as our quarterly live coaching calls, early access, special rates for events and classes, and more.
Can I count CE credits I’ve earned at work towards IFCI’s CE requirement?
IFCI may approve a limited number of CE credits for outside classes on a case-by-case basis. As with other industries, we require continuing education that applies directly to our industry: fibromyalgia coaching. For example, earning CE credits as a psychologist doesn’t keep you up-to-date on fibromyalgia knowledge. Ask through the IFCI Alumni Association Facebook group if you have an outside class that should be considered for credit.
I’m going to a conference, class, or event that is coaching- or fibromyalgia-specific. May I count that towards my CE credits?
Maybe. This is handled on a case-by-case basis, depending on the organization and event providing the content. Ask through the IFCI Alumni Association Facebook group.
Do I have to attend IFCI’s CE classes live in order to count them towards my CE requirement?
No. All CE classes will be available through the online portal. To receive credit, watch the class recording and complete the feedback survey.. You may choose from any available CE credit classes. Note: a maximum of 1 CE credit may be earned per month. CE credits are earned through the IFCI Alumni Association Membership.
Do I have to be part of the IFCI Alumni Association to receive client referrals from IFCI?
Yes. To receive referrals from IFCI, you will need to be a Coach with current Active Status (see IFCI Referral Requirements, above). This means having a current IFCI Alumni Association Membership for access to the Competency Exam and CE credits. See details on our Referral Service here.
I just graduated. Do I still have to join the Association?
- If you have graduated from one training program and have joined the next one (i.e. you graduated as a Fibromyalgia Advisor and have joined the Fibromyalgia Coach program), your Association membership is included in your new program.
- If you want the special coaching calls, discounts, and perks and/or need to receive CE credits for the continuing education classes you will need to be a member of the IFCI Alumni Association.
- If you don’t want the special coaching calls, discounts, and perks and don’t need CE credits, you don’t need to join the association.
- In addition, for 30 days after the date of their final certification interview or graduation, new graduates are eligible to receive a discount on their first year’s membership in the Alumni Association. Just ask and we can give you the coupon code for this discount.
Last updated: September 15, 2020